Thursday, October 01, 2009

Running in Manhattan



Phew, I am spent! Every Thursday evening, I meet up with a running group at New York Running Company's Columbus Circle retail location (in the Time Warner Building). The workout plan is typically a 4-5 mile run in Central Park; tonight was a brisk 8-9 minute-mile pace. Five miles, a roll of veggie sushi, and a hot shower later, this girl is ready for bed!

However, before I hit the hay I'll share with you my favorite running loop in Manhattan…which consequentially, happens to be in Central Park: The Central Park Reservoir, (officially named the Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir). This 1.58 mile level track offers breathtaking views of the New York City skyline, cooling cross breezes, and a path free of cyclists, stoplights, crosswalks, horse carriages, and taxis. Located between 86th and 96th streets, the reservoir covers approximately one eighth of the park's surface. Best time to run? Sunrise or sunset.

No comments: