Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Food, Inc.



"Food, Inc. exposes America's industrialized food system and its effect on our environment, health, economy and workers' rights....our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health..." The global food crisis. Cloning. Nutritional labels. Genetic engineering. Pesticides. Foodborne illness. Obesity. Farm worker protection. Organic and local foods. My, oh my. Delicious topics. What's not to love?

Which is why...I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE THIS DOCUMENTARY! I have my bag of organic corn kernels on the stand-by for stovetop popping and shhh, smuggling into the theater. Since a large segment of this film is supposedly devoted to exposing the evils of corn in our food chain, I think it would be an oxymoron if I were to order up a bucket of movie buttered popcorn.

I find the issue of what we eat, (or don't eat), incredibly fascinating. Just get me started, and I could talk on and on...and on. Needless to say, I'm a frequent farmer's market shopper in Union Square, and Michael Pollan's
Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food (this one I'm currently reading) are both well-worn paperbacks warmly snuggled into my bookshelf. Since I give high praise to these two masterpieces, (and can't get enough of local market goodies this time of year), I'm quite certain I'll be enamored with this film. It promises, "You'll never look at dinner the same way again." I just hope it doesn't scare me off from eating a hamburger ever again...

No comments: