Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bon Voyage


January is an exceptionally busy business travel month for me - hence the recent lack of Printed Thoughts. While my company shall remain unnamed for anonymity sake, I will say that thus far in the new year, I have been in Florida for one week, and now I'm in Utah for another...well, with a couple personal ski days thrown into the mix to round everything out.

Don't get me wrong - I very much enjoy traveling to a destination, but there's no question that the traveling part in itself is just plain exhausting.

How does one make the hauling of the luggage, the cramped economy cabin, the long lines through security, and the flight itself more bearable? Via trial and error, I've singled out several absolutely essential carry-on items that make a flight of any duration infinitely more enjoyable. Sure, a book is nice to have, a laptop is too, a newspaper perhaps, an orange and a homemade sandwich, but the following select items are my TOP picks. Here they are, fresh out of my carry-on bag:



Pashmina Scarf/Shawl - Stylish AND practical! With airline blankets seemingly becoming more scarce, this helps keep you warm on a chilly plane.

Large Bottle of Water - Unfortunately, bottles must be purchased once past security, but in-flight hydration is key. I also find it reassuring to have water at my disposal in the event I sleep through beverage service.

iPod/Headphones - "Wailing Baby in the Seat in Front of You" scenario? Hellooo, peace and quiet.

Inflatable Neck Pillow - Ridiculous looking? Absolutely. But, I don't care because head-bobbing and neck-cramping can ruin what would have otherwise been a restful nap. I tote this along on longer flights where I'll be attempting to sleep a decent amount. This one is nice because it folds up into a small little bag. No lugging around an over-stuffed u-shaped donut, thank you very much. A little neck support can go a long way.

Lip Balm - Agh! Never travel without one!

Small Moisturizing Lotion (3 oz. or smaller) - Essential in-flight for both hands and face. That re-circulated cabin air is dry stuff.

Translucent Powder Compact with mirror - This one by Lorac is fantastic because it's so portable. A little sweep here and there, and viola! Unwanted oil and shine is concealed, leaving the skin natural-looking and matte.

Now, speaking of travel, I came across this amusing, yet slightly disconcerting sign, positioned at the beginning of the security line at LaGuardia airport. I suppose it was fitting for all those seasonal holiday travelers, but what has this world come to when snow globes of all things are considered prohibited items in carry-on bags? Regardless, I still have no complaints about extra security measures. Better to travel safe...and with a few strategic carry-on items, at least with a little more comfort and sanity.

What are your carry-on essentials?

No comments: