Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Eat Your Veggies


In lieu of this past Sunday's New York City Marathon, I am filled with new-found inspiration to run the 26.2 myself next November. Also, with the holidays just around the corner, I'm entirely committed to making a concerned effort to munch on more vegetables and leafy greens...like these!





Ok, so it also has to do with currently reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food and wanting to grow a quaint vegetable garden just like the Obama family. (Sadly, apartment living does not allow this).

Shopping "veggies for one" is a tricky process, though. I tend to overestimate how much celery I can actually eat in a given week, and always seem to end up with some of it squished and forgotten in the back of the fridge. Or worse - lettuce. I can't tell you how many heads of lettuce have gone rotten before I've even had the chance to stuff some leaves in a pita.

I've adapted a new method though! It's not anything revolutionary, but I think it's going to make my life a little easier. Upon returning from the farmer's market or grocery store, I wash, peel, cut and STORE my veggies right away so they are, from that moment on, at the ready for snacking and cooking. Basically, the less effort it takes to eat some carrots and hummus for a snack after work, the more inclined I'll be to opt for that combination over say...my favorite vegan chocolate chips.

Tonight, I thoroughly washed a head of red-leaf lettuce, spun it in the colander, and stored it in the crisping drawer of the fridge. No more scrambling around in the morning for lunch material. Having healthy veggies and fruits readily available in the kitchen is one of my many life-long goals (simple as it may sound). After all, as Michael Pollan writes, "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

No comments: