Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"Brown Bag" Resolution


I decided yesterday, after purchasing yet another over-priced 1/2 sandwich baguette from my favorite little lunch spot, Pret a Manger, that one of my {many} new year's resolutions moving into 2010 will read as follows:

"Brown-bag healthy lunch to work at least 4 times per week."

My hopes are that this spirited endeavor, (soon to to be logged into my Filofax for safekeeping), will a.) Save me some pennies b.) Hone my Top Chef gourmet sandwich-building culinary skills and c.) Result in lunches I will still find appetizing by noon on the same day.

So let's get the ball rolling! Last night's prep and this early morning's whirlwind sandwich assembly involved a panini. I recently discovered panini bread at Whole Foods (they sell 4 loafs per bag) and it's just absolutely delicious. Let it be known, I'm no panini master. I also don't own a panini press. But, with a little bit of creativity, I devised a tasty little sandwich for lunch today that was super easy, quick, and deeeelish reheated in the communal office microwave. Coworker envy may have ensued. Just maybe.

Step 1. Cut up yellow squash, zucchini, red onion, and roasted red peppers.

Step 2. Saute veggies in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. (I'm embarrassed my skillet looks absolutely filthy in this picture. I promise it's clean...I just haven't taken the scrubber to it in a good, long while).

Step 3. Add in some Balsamic Vinegar and coat the veggies.

Step 4. Admire panini bread.

Step 5. Slice open panini bread, avoiding any bodily injury.

Step 6. Generously spread goat cheese on one side of the panini bread.

Step 7. Top goat cheese with some balsamic-sauteed veggies.

Step 8. Heat up grill pan, (mine is cast-iron and weighs about 20 lbs), and place panini on grill.

Step 9. Take a heavy pan, (here I use my cast iron skillet), and place on top of panini to press.


Step 10. No, it's not a grilled piece of chicken. It's a scrumptious panini! Wrap in tinfoil, stuff in bag, put in fridge at work, and heat up later in the day for a tasty, tasty homemade lunch.

4 comments:

Amy Dawson said...

Great job - it looks delicious! I really like how you walked through the process, and the result looks wonderful. We'd love for you to share your ideas, or get further inspiration, on lunchtaker.com. We like your resolution, and send our apologies to Pret a Manger!

The Printed Thought said...

Thanks for your comment, Scott. I just checked out lunchtaker.com - LOVE the dairy-free filter for finding tasty lunch-worthy foods! This will be an excellent tool to help me stick with my resolution in the new year. Cheers! - Julie B.

Ms. Curieuse said...

Happy New Year's Eve, Ms. Printed! All my very best wishes for a wonderful 2010! :)

Ty & Dre said...

delicious!!